Wednesday, 12 October 2016

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream Review and Swatches

Long lasting liquid lipsticks is a market that all brands are wanting to break into at the moment, and not everyone is doing it right. The NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams however tick most of the boxes when it comes to being top of the drugstore ranks. They certainly match affordability with quality and instead of doing my usual long winded intro into why I picked these up I thought I'd just go straight into the review. Feel free to skip to the bottom for a real quick run down of my thoughts.

The shade range NYX offers is incredible. With 31 shades to pick up at Boots (for UK buyers) it's safe to say you'll be at the NYX stand for a very long time swatching and deciding which ones to take home. But, at £5.50 a pop I'm pretty sure you'll easily be persuaded to take a small handful home with you.


The NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams are a perfect balance between lip stick and lip gloss and settle into the lips without any shine or shimmer. Although described as being highly pigmented, I can only agree to this after I've applied a number of layers. Don't get me wrong, once you've done two to three applications you do get a totally amazing pay off, but higher end brands do only need one coat. Although a little bit annoying, there is a plus side to this. The Soft Matte Lip Creams give us more control over how opaque or bold we apply the colour. You can go from subtle hint to full blown impact depending on your mood; and you don't get that freedom with higher, more extreme pigmented brands. 

These matte lip creams are great at settling into the lip, they do take a few seconds to dry which can mean a longer application process but it's worth it for the colour payoff. They aren't as long lasting as the higher end brands (but I never really expect that from a drugstore lipsticks anyway) and they can wear off after a few hours. Saying that, the do hold up well against eating and drinking, it's just natural wear off that is the issue here.


One other little issue I have with these lip creams is that they tend to clump up on the lip after a while. The don't stay completely in place all day and I sometime find myself having to wipe off build up around the corners or middle of my lips after a few hours. However, on the other hand, that does mean that the NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream's don't dry out your lips in anyway; which is totally amazing for how matte the overall effect is. There is absolutely no transfer or smudging within the first few hours or wearing either. 

I picked up 4 different shades with Abu Dhabi being my favourite as it is a lovely subtle brown shade. Cairo has a creamier look to it, being very light brown, Tokyo is a lovely bright bold pink shade and Buenos Aires is a nice faint coral colour.


If you're just wanting a quick summary of these liquid lipsticks then this little section is for you:
1. They're not drying at all
2. NYX have a great shade range
3. Good pigmentation but could be better - does allow you to create own levels of opacity
4. Doesn't transfer
5. Last's about half a day without any top ups
6. Can occasionally clump or gather on the lips

If you were to ask me if I preferred these to higher end brands, like Kat Von D for instance, I wouldn't be able to agree...but, that doesn't mean I don't love the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams. They're so well priced and have such a great shade range that I can forgive them for any of the points that they drop on a little. These are 100% the best matte liquid lipsticks in the drugstore market and I will certainly be buying more.

Have you tried the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams? What are you thoughts? Which shades should I be picking up next? Let me know in the comments below.

Thanks for reading
Hannah xxx
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I've been wanting to try these for so long but couldn't decide on which colour to go for! I might go for Abu Dhabi, but they are all such beautiful shades. Impressive that they last up to half a day without a top up xx

    Mapped Out | Beauty & Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete

© A Day In The Life Of A Northern Girl. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig